Friday, January 3, 2014

A calorie is not a calorie

First, lets go over exactly what a calorie is. According to Webster dictionary, a calorie is "the amount of heat required at a pressure of one atmosphere to raise the temperature of one gram of water one degree Celsius that is about 4.19 joules". Helpful, right?

Okay, lets look at it in laymens terms. A calorie is the amount of "energy" a certain food has. Why does this matter? Well, it really doesnt.

In 2013, a group of scientist decided to ponder this question. The scientists gathered a bunch of rats and split them into three groups. One group was over fed, one group was under fed, and the final group was fed just enough to maintain weight (control group). Over the course of 30 days, the mice would be over, or under, fed for 10 days, and then a day at maintinence. In other words, every tenth day all mice were fed the same amount. After the 30 days, the scientists measured the fat tissue of all three groups.

Not suprisingly, the control group didnt change in fat or weight. The underfed group, however, actually gained fat. Not only that, but this group gained more fat than the over fed group! How does this happen? 

Well, its actually not thqt complicated. Think of it this way: your body's only goal is to stay in homeostasis, no matter the conditions. When the body is under fed, the body must find nutrients in the body. Yes, fat does store nutrients, but so does muscle. When the body has to choose, it will choose muscle. The reason, muscle is more metabolic than fat. So if the body takes muscle, the body wont need as much to survive. Make sense?

If the research wont convince, perhaps a mote personal example will. A few years ago, when I first began to notice girls, I took a huge interest in my body. I wasnt really chubby, but I wasnt skinny either. So, in an effort to get those sexy abs, I cut calories, a lot of calories. We're talkin about 1000 calories a day. Even more, most of these were gluten-laden, glycimecic disasters. At a height of 5'7, I weighed 110 lbs, but had no abs to show. In fact, I had quite an impressive belly for someone so small.

After months of exauhstive research, I came to a conclusion. I needed more food! So, I put on my big boy pants and raised my calories to 3000. Within a years time, I gained 40 lbs of muscle and now walk around with abs. 

I'm not suggesting you go to McDonalds and gorge yourself, but maybe eat that secound steak sitting on the table. It is not the calories that matter, but the nutrients from the calories. If you have enough nutrients, the body will take care of it self. Eat real food, simple as that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment